Venice Film Festival has invited Mohsen Makhmalbaf as a member of jury for the 2006 section of the festival. Mohsen Makhmalbaf will be attending the festival in August.
History of Makhmalbaf family in Venice Film Festival:
- In 1997, Silence by Mohsen Makhmalbaf was screened in the competition section of Venice Film Festival and got the Golden award of the Parliament and the Art, Human and Nature award from this festival.
- In 1999, Test of Democracy by Mohsen Makhmalbaf was screened in the Panorama Section of the Venice film Festival.
- In 2000, Marziyeh Meshkiny attended the festival with The Day I Became A Woman. She received the Prize for the best first feature film and the ISVEMA awards and also Prize CICT-UNESCO of international council of cinema and Television.
- In 2000, Samira Makhmalbaf was as a member of the jury for Venice Film Festival.
- In 2003, Hana Makhmalbaf attended the Critics week of the festival with her film Joy of Madness and was awarded as the youngest film maker of the world. She also received the Special Mention award from Associazione Cultrale le tre Ghinee from the Venice Film Festival.
- In 2004, Marziyeh Meshkiny attended the festival with Stray Dogs and received the Unicef award and The Silver Camera award (for cultural and artistic communication).