Born in 1969 in Tehran. She is the wife of celebrated Iranian director Mohsen Makhmalbaf. She studied Cinema in Makhmalbaf Film school for 8 years.
Her first film ‘The Day I Became a Woman”, (a 3-episode story) attended the Critics Week category in Venice International Film Festival in 2000 and won 3 awards from that festival.
Marziyeh Meshkini’s second film ‘Stray Dogs’ competed in the best film category at Venice Film Festival in 2003 and received two awards from the festival. Her film has received many international awards across the world.
She has worked as assistant director in “The Apple”, “The Blackboards”, “ At Five In The Afternoon” and “Two-Legged Horse” by Samira Makhmalbaf as well as collaborating in several recent films by Mohsen Makhmalbaf.
Marziyeh Meshkini is also the scriptwriter of the award winning film “Buddha Collapsed Out Of Shame” by Hana Makhmalbaf , which has won the Chrystal Bear from Berlin Film Festival, Grand Jury Award from San Sebastian.... and has been nominated for the Best Asian Film Award from Hong Kong Film Festival.
1) The Day I Became a woman
2) Stray Dogs
1) Buddha collapsed out of shame 2007 (Directed by Hana Makhmalbaf)
1. The Apple 1997
2. The Silence 1998
3. The Door 1999
4. The Blackboard 2000
5. God, Construction, Destruction 2002
6. At five in the afternoon 2002
7. Sex & Philosophy 2005
8. Two-legged horse 2008
1. The Day I Became A woman: Prize to the best first feature film assigned by the young jury of CINEMAVENIRE from 15th.International week of film critics, Venice. Italy .2000
2. The Day I Became A woman: Prize ISVEMA of 100,000,000 Italian lira of commercial promotion on the private televisions associated with Isvema itself, assigned by the jury of the national Syndicate of Italian Film Critics, for its: "poetical representation of woman condition in nowadays Iranian society" from 15th.International week of film critics, Venice. Italy.2000
3. The Day I Became A woman: Prize CICT-UNESCO of the International Council of Cinema and Television within UNESCO has awarded its prize for the following motivation: "for its honesty and for the quality of vision on the woman condition in Iran" from 15th.International week of film critics, Venice. Italy .2000
4. The Day I Became A woman: The Volkswagen Discovery Award from Toronto International Film Festival. Canada. 2000
5. The Day I Became A woman: The gold plaque for Best First Film from Chicago International Film Festival .USA. 2000
6. The Day I Became A woman: The Best Asian Film from Pusan International Film Festival.Korea.2000
7. The Day I Became A woman: The Prize of the International Film Critics (FIPRESCI Prize) from Films from the south Festival. Norway.2000
8. The Day I Became A woman: Special Jury award from Festival des Trois Continents (Nantes) France, 2000.
9. The Day I Became A woman: Special young Jury award from Festival des Trois Continents (Nantes) France, 2000
10. The Day I Became A woman: Golden Plaque of ville De Nantes from Festival des Trois Continents (Nantes) France, 2000
11. The Day I Became A woman: Best Director Award from Thesaloniki International Film Festival, Greece. 2000.
12. The Day I Became A woman: First prize from Novo Cinema International Film Festival, Belgium, 2001
13. The Day I Became A woman: Cine Tirol Verleiher Preis from Innsbruck International film festival, Austria, 2001.
14. Stray Dogs: Unicef Award, Venice, Italy, 2004
15. Stray Dogs: The Silver Camera Award (for cultural and artistic communications) Venice, Italy, 2004
16.Stray Dogs: Fipresci Prize, Singapore Film Festival, 2005
17.Stray Dogs: Netpac Prize, Singapore Film Festival, 2005
18.Stray Dogs: Best Film, Bermuda Film Festival, Bermuda 2005